Recently I came across a condition where Workflow 2013 instance were not running. Root cause was a missing outbound certificate. Below are screenshots and PowerShell steps to resolve. No Windows service restart, reboot, or IISRESET was needed. Just apply config and test again. Cheers!
1) Verify outbound certificate missing. Expect $oc to be null.
Import-Module WorkflowManager $wf = Get-WFFarm $oc = Get-WFOutboundCertificate $wf.Endpoints $oc # Expect to be NULL (MISSING)
2) Locate thumbprint of certificate with most forward expiration
gci Cert:\Local Machines\My | sort subject | select thumbprint,subject,notafter | ft
3) Apply thumbprint and certificate
Set-WFNextOutboundCertificateReference -ServiceUri $wf.Endpoints -Thumbprint [ADD REAL CERT THUMBPRINT HERE] Set-WFNextOutboundCertificateAsCurrent $oc = Get-WFOutboundCertificate $wf.Endpoints $oc # Expect to be NOT NULL (SHOW THUMBPRINT)
4) Test by running Workflow 2013. Open web browser and click WF2013 test to run again. Verify completed without errors. Bonus points if the workflow has an email step and you receive the email OK.
- EventID 563: Private key certificate with thumbprint ‘F4545D83AE81EBA21996B139BB44E614145F9057’ could not be found in the local machine certificate store. This may cause failures for running workflows which depend on this certificate.
- Details: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the workflow instance. Exception details: System.InvalidOperationexception: No valid outbound signing keys were found. at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute (ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.Execute.ActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody (ActivityExecutor exectore, BookmarkManager bookManager, Location resultLocation)