ShareGate offers “insane mode” which uploads to Azure blob storage for fast cloud migration to Office 365 (https://en.share-gate.com/sharepoint-migration/insane-mode). It’s an excellent program for copying SharePoint sites. However, I wanted to research ways to run that even faster by leveraging parallel processing and came up with “Insane MOVE.”
- Multiple SharePoint servers with ShareGate installed
- CSV input with source & destination URLS
- Powershell “Insane MOVE.ps1” runs on any 1 server in the farm
- Detects servers with ShareGate installed
- Create Task Scheduler jobs on each server
- Create “worker0.ps1” file on each server to run one copy job
- Secure string for passwords (varied for each server)
- Automatic queue to start new jobs as current ones complete
- Status report to CSV with ShareGate session ID#, errors, warnings, and error detail XML (if applicable)
- LOG for both “Insane MOVE” centrally and each remote worker
The diagram below explains the concept. With multiple servers, ShareGate installed on each, and adequate hardware, we can execute “Copy-Site” PowerShell in parallel. With 4 or more concurrent “Copy-Site” workers we’re now able to process multiple copy operations simultaneously for a faster overall migration timeline. PowerShell will automatically queue up the next source/destination URLs from the input CSV and monitor worker status to kick off a new copy as soon as a prior completes.
Cruise control for ShareGate! Less effort to easily manage bulk copy operations. We now have “Insane MOVE” for “Insane Mode.”
Please give the script a try and leave a comment here or GitHub. Cheers!